Hospitals Moving Slowly on Key Strategies for the New Environment
What are hospitals doing – and not doing – when it comes to five strategies that have been widely parlayed at industry conferences and in the industry press?
- 63% have a Wellness Program in place for the hospital’s own employees
- 41% have a Clinical Integration strategy in the works
- 29% have a strategy for dealing with the issue of Narrow Networks
- 28% said they are pursuing direct contracts with employers
- 27% are implementing some type of ACO or Population Health Strategy
Even with the most popular strategy, only about two-thirds (63%) of respondents told us they have a Wellness or Population Health Program with their OWN employees up and running. Others (12%) are talking about this kind of program, another 11% are planning this but have taken no action yet, and 5% don’t have this on their radar.
A major buzz in healthcare right now is ACO and Population Health Strategies.
Yet, according to our survey, only 27% of the respondents indicated they currently have this type of strategy in the works. Another 20% said they are talking, but haven’t done anything yet. While the 27% number is an increase from last year, when it was 18%, it appears that many hospitals and systems are taking a “wait and see” and “learn from others” approach.
It will be interesting to see where this priority lands in the coming years as more and more hospitals implement the concepts as well as see the results of wellness programs with hospital employees.
To see the full set of survey results, click here.